Wednesday, June 3, 2009

New Respect for a Small Instrument

The Ukulele is not an instrument I have paid much attention to in the past. In fact I most ofter associated it with a toy or a gimmick, most often in relation to Tiny Tim.

It was not until a few months ago when my parents started paying for Ukulele lessons for my oldest daughter. At first I was not so sure about this. But as I found out more about this particular instrument the more I came to appreciate it.

In searching online I found videos from such masters as
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, Jake Shimabukuro, John King and James Hill
. There is also the very entertaining Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. Do yourself a favor and search YouTube for some great talent.

I have even started to learn a little bit myself. Tonight I learned four chords (not bad for an old dog). I might consider learning even more.

It was listening to my daughter play that really moved me to appreciate this little instrument even more. She is a quick learner and music seems to come naturally to her. She has a fantastic ear, often time when I thought the Ukulele was in tune she knew it was not. She enjoys playing and has even written a couple of her own songs. I plan on putting some videos up in the near future.

I suppose it could be said that while I have developed an appreciation for the Ukulele that I have developed an even greater appreciation of my daughter. I am one proud Daddy and look forward to watching her cultivate this new found talent.


3 comments:

holly shockey lindsey said...

can't wait till you post the video's of her playing! Life with kids(in your case girls:) is soo much sweeter isn't it? even with the aggravation they sometimes bring.lol I appreciate my parents a whole lot more now after becoming a parent than when i was a bratty little kid.

Scott or Pam said...

I, too, thought of this instrument as a "toy". I even thing of Tiny Tim, also. I like your blog as I, too, live with girls. I have one Proverbs 31 woman as a wife and two wannabe's in my daughters, 6 and 8. Thanks for sharing.
Scott

Symon said...

Hi there. I noticed one of your interests was 'Ted Dekker'. Please take the time to check out our Christian Fiction Review Blog: Flannelgraph. If you become a follower, you will be into win a free book/books each month. God bless you, Symon.