Wednesday, May 2, 2007

My Amazing Daughter

Like most any Dad, I like to brag about my kids. Tonight my six year old, Aimee, said some really profound things. My wife sent me the following email:
Tonight Aimee and I were at the table, working on math problems. I was sitting in my usual spot, she was standing next to me. Aimee backed up to walk around to the other side of the table, then screamed, ran around the table, and started crying. Autumn was sitting nearby, so I asked if Autumn scratched her. "Yes," was her teary reply. I said, "Bad kitty!" Autumn was surprised at that, she thought when I got up I was going to feed her! She cowered back a little, then came right back to me and rubbed against me, I guess to ask for forgiveness... I checked on Aimee and her ankle was bleeding a bit. So I got her a wet washcloth to cover it with. I told Autumn I hoped we didn't have to get rid of her, but I don't want a bad kitty in the house. Aimee said, "Mommy! It was probably my fault! I probably got too close to her face. It's ok, Mommy, she wasn't trying to be mean!" Then she said something that I really liked. Aimee said, "Mommy, it's like with God. Even though sometimes we disobey, he still loves us and doesn't want to get rid of us. So even if Autumn is mean sometimes, we still love her, and shouldn't get rid of her." Quite the insight from a little girl who just got scratched, unprovoked.
Wow... such insight from a six year old. But she is right, no matter what we do, no matter how badly we mess up, God still loves us! God could, and yes, should condemn us for some of the stupid things we do. But...

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death." Romans 8:1,2

Read that again. "There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus!" Aimee had it correct. Even though we disobey, God still loves us and doesn't want to get rid of us. Read the rest of chapter 8 sometime today. Meditate on what Paul wrote. Who will you live for?

Forgiven & Loved,
Jeff

No comments: