Saturday, April 28, 2007

Mulligan

I like to golf. I am not the greatest golfer, in fact I am really not good at all. But I have fun playing. In fact I really don't play golf as much as chasing the little white ball. One of my favorite aspects of the game is the mulligan. Otherwise known as the "do over." Hit a bad shot, have a bad lie, hit into water... take a mulligan. I love the mulligan.

Life is a lot like golf. My intention is to play my best game, to always hit the perfect shot. I address a decision or situation and I aim to go straight. Swing. Disappointment. My "shot" goes far to the left. Sometimes I do make a wise decision, other times a foolish one. Sometimes my intention is to avoid sin, yet temptation leads me to miss my target. I give in, I take my eyes off of Christ. My life is out of bounds. But, here is the beauty of being forgiven. I can take a "mulligan" and start again. Because Christ died and rose from the dead to forgive my sin I have another chance, and another, and another, and another.


I don't always take a mulligan with every bad golf shot, sometimes I just play the ball from where it lies. Life is like this too. I am still forgiven for sinful decisions, but consequences of sin still have to be faced. Much like a sand trap, it is not impossible to get out, but just requires more hard work, dedication and better aim.

Hebrews 10:17 tells us God chooses not to remember our sins. "I will never again remember their sins and lawless deeds." What an awesome God we worship and serve. A God who chooses to forget.

Life and golf... for me the connection is easy to make. Although I don't have a chance to play much golf (too expensive and not enough time), every day is a chance to play "life." To step up to the ball and hit straight.

Go with God,
Jeff

Photo Credit: http://www.sdyouthservices.org

No comments: