Friday, May 4, 2007

Conditioned to Complain

I was out with the family last night. We went out to dinner, and then stopped by a couple of stores to pick up some needed items. We walked into the first store (specialty type), and were immediately greeted by two store employees. One of them even greeted me with a handshake. Pretty cool. Every time we passed by an employee we were greeted and even engaged in a brief conversation at times. The employees of this store truly had a genuine interest in our being there and how they could help us. Anymore this kind of service has become a thing of the past. This was not the typical "Hi, welcome to (insert store name here)." And that is the last you hear from them. It truly was really great service.

This morning I called the store and asked to speak to a manager. Now, I will admit to having a little fun with this. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Hello, may I speak to a manager please?
Manager: Yes, my name is Bob and I am manager. How can I help you.
Me: Yes, I was in your store last night and I have not received service like I did last night in a long time.
Manager: I am sorry, I...
Me: No, no, no. You don't understand. The service I received was extraordinary...

I went on to explain the great service I had received. I then called the corporate customer service number (they are a national chain) and the person I spoke to there also seemed surprised to be taking a call with a compliment.

This led me to think, "Have we become conditioned to complain?" The manager was ready to hear a complaint as was the customer service rep. We have become a society in which we live to complain. We say things like: "The food is cold." "The service is too long." "The music isn't the right style." "I can't believe they don't open more lanes." We don't we think to stop and say a word of thanks and gratefulness when we receive good service or when we appreciate something someone did.

"So encourage each other and build each other up. . . " 1 Thessalonians 5:11.

Make it a point today to build someone up giving them words of encouragement and appreciation. Let them know of a job well done! Let's become a society in which we are conditioned to encourage.

Thanks for stopping by,
Jeff

No comments: